Our Featured and Keynote Speakers are:
Saturday: December 5, 2009
- Latifa Lyles, Former National NOW Vice-President Membership
- Justice Cynthia Baldwin (tentative)
- Rep. Joe Sestak (D) and candidate for the US Senate
The deadline for submission is October 1, 2009
NOW invites all members and interested persons to submit a workshop proposal for the 2009 Pennsylvania NOW Convention, which will take place in State College, PA at the Nittany Lion Inn. All workshops will be held on Saturday, December 4, 2009.
Proposals that are most likely to be accepted will be relevant, timely, and have an action component. They should be directly related to at least one of the following broad issue topics:
- Economic Justice - with a focus on pay equity, women and work in this new economy, helping women escape poverty, or promoting education equity and economic justice.
- Health Care - including single-payer reform, health and health care disparities, reproductive justice and rights, emerging health care technologies, and environmental impact on women's health including global women's health.
- Winning Rights for All Women: including turning back anti-LBTQ measures, affirmative action, growing and networking a global movement, work & family balance, what's next for the women and girls with disabilities, achieving fair immigration reform.
- Ending Violence - including sexual and domestic assault and battering, stalking, date rape, sexual assault in the military, prevention strategies.
- Legal/Legislative - examples include strategies for judicial selection, the courts (family law, divorce and custody), winning fair pay laws.
- Political Skills- Proposals should focus on election-related skills, such as running for office, identifying good candidates, fundraising and the like, but could include broader political analysis and future strategies.
- Organizing - with a focus on proven programs to grow the women's movement, recruiting new voices and activists, increasing the racial and ethnic diversity at every level, organizing and mobilizing for social justice, and the technology explosion and its impact on national advocacy and grassroots organizing.
For further information and a complete proposal application form, please contact Pennsylvania NOW at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Workshop Proposal" in the subject line. Thanks1