This amended bill, if and when it becomes law (the Governor has said he will sign it) will shut down the 22 free-standing abortion clinics throughout PA. This amendment requires all free-standing abortion clinics to meet the standards for the Ambulatory Surgical Centers in addition (and in some cases, in contradiction) to the Abortion Control Act, the Ambulatory Gynaecological Surgery Facility Regulations, and the MCARE Act which they already have to follow. You can review these regulations below (Thanks to the Women's Law Project for gathering this information):
How Abortions Are Currently Regulated in PA
The votes on the Mensch Amendment were as follows. Aye votes are votes that will shut down the clinics and lead to more back-alley abortions. No votes were votes in support of women's health. As with SB 3, Senator Earll (R) was not present and did not vote.
This is the wrong response to what allegedly happened at Gosnell’s clinic in Philadelphia. Instead of preventing another Gosnell “house of horrors,” this bill will hurt women.
WHITE DONALD (R)
WHITE MARY JO (R)
- It will not improve patient safety;
- It will force safe providers to close;
- It will increase the cost of an abortion by as much as $1,000;
- It will force women to seek care in other states or from marginal or illegal practitioners;
- It will create two overlapping sets of regulations that are in conflict with each other and in violation of the Abortion Control Act; and
- It will have the harshest impact on the poor and rural women of Pennsylvania.
It’s now time for you to call, write, and/or email your Pennsylvania State Senator. Contact information for your legislator can be found here. Tell your legislator that this bill is wrong, will put more women in danger, and will likely shut down the safe providers.
VOTE NO on SB 732.