THE BEST THING NOW IS TO CALL YOUR STATE AND ASKING THEM TO VOTE AGAINST SB 1 WHEN IT COMES UP FOR A VOTE. I know many of you have sent letters or made calls to the full Senate. You can find your Senator by zip code. Once you find your Senator, link to his/her web page to find the phone number and email or web form.
And here's information to help you make that call:
- Pennsylvania NOW's statement opposing school vouchers.
- Talking Points on opposing school vouchers
- Impact of SB 1 on Property Taxes by County and School District
- Why school vouchers are unconstitutional
In case you don't have time to review this material before you call your Senator, here are some quick talking points:
- School vouchers are clearly unconstitutional under the Pennsylvania Constitution.
- Schools accepting the vouchers can discriminate in whom they accept, which could possibly violate the Pennsylvania Fair Educational Opportunities Act.
- Voucher programs provide little to no accountability to Pennsylvania taxpayers.
- Vouchers do not improve academic achievement.
- Children who remain in the public schools have less funding available for their education.